- 1 pound bag of baby spinach
- 1 red onion, half sliced in 1 in. piece and other half reserved
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 pound bacon, fried and crumbled with grease reserved
Hot Bacon Dressing
- ½ cup bacon grease
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ red onion finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup bacon crumbles from salad
- Pour spinach into large bowl. Top with Salad toppings except for eggs.
- Serve salad in individual bowls. Serve salad topped with eggs and drizzled with dressing.
- Pour ⅓ cup warm bacon grease through a coffee filter lined strainer into 2 or 4 cup measuring cup.
- Add vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Saute onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes in a tablespoon of bacon grease. Add onion and garlic to mixture of bacon grease and vinegar.
- Whisk together. Add a splash of water if needs to be thinned a bit.
- Add bacon crumbles and stir before drizzling over salad.
- 6 hard- boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of relish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish
- Place your eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil for one minute, remove from heat and cover for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, remove the eggs and place in a bowl of ice water.
- Peel and remove the shell. Slice the egg in half and remove the yolk and place in a bowl.
- Mash the yolk and add the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon or pipe the filling into the egg. Garnish with paprika. Keep chilled.
Tomato Pie with Cheese and Pesto
- 4-5 large tomatoes
- 1 pie shell
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese – shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
- 4-5 large basil leaves – sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup good quality mayo – not salad dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice 4-5 tomatoes with skin on and place on paper towels to drain – about an hour or longer if you have time.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pie dough and place in pie or tart pan and trim edges. Prick pie shell to prevent rising. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for about 20 min.
- Layer onion on bottom of pie shell then sprinkle on grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to form an even layer.
- Spread pesto over cheeses.
- Layer half the tomatoes over pesto in a circular pattern overlapping.
- Mix mayo with grated cheddar cheese and spread on top of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on fresh basil.
- Layer remaining tomatoes over basil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes minutes. If the edges get brown early, put a pie ring on top or use a homemade one made out of tinfoil.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle on additional Parmesan cheese.
- Allow pie to rest at least 30 minutes, sprinkle on basil, slice and serve.
Recipes adapted from Donya from A Southern Soul.